I had an avm removed in my brain in 1991 now am having sharp pains there. Has it come back?

Dr. Larry Armstrong
Neurosurgery

In brief: Doubtful

Most avm's do not regrow after resection and if they do, they are not painful.
Don't take it for granted though, if you've had a resection and you're having symptoms, get a ct angio of the brain and see your neurosurgeon again.

In brief: Doubtful

Dr. Jefferson Chen
Neurosurgery

In brief: Unlikely

Whether or not an avm comes back depends on whether or not it was completely resected in 1991.
You likely had post-operative cerebral angiograms after the surgery. If there was no hint of an avm on the angiograms, then it is unlikely to come back. These usually do not grow de novo. However, the fact that you are having sharp pains deserves further work-up by your neurosurgeon/neurologist.

In brief: Unlikely