I have a grade 4 cerebral avm. My feet and now my thumb have become both numb and painful. What is happening?

Dr. Joseph Gemmete
Radiology - Interventional
In brief: Shunting blood
The avm is probably shunting blood from that region of your brain.
Grade 4 avms are difficult to treat, morbidity and mortality from surgical resection is in the range of 20%. Other modalities that can be used to treat an avm include embolization and radiation.

In brief: Shunting blood
Dr. Joseph Gemmete
Dr. Joseph Gemmete
Dr. Larry Armstrong
Neurosurgery
In brief: Not sure
Depending on the location and size of your avm, your symptoms may or may not be associated.
See your neurosurgeon if you are experiencing any symptom changes. Let him decide if it's a big deal or not!

In brief: Not sure
Dr. Larry Armstrong
Dr. Larry Armstrong
Dr. Eric Weisman