What are the chances of me having and abdominal aortic aneurysm?

Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Preventive Medicine

In brief: Less than 1 in 200

Men have a higher risk of an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) than women, and at age 55-79 it is about 1 in 200 for them. Your risk at age 34 would be less.
Smoking also increases risk. It is recommended specifically that men who have ever smoked get an ultrasound to check for an AAA between the ages of 65 and 75. For general screening recommendations, see the iphone app my health checklist 2012.

In brief: Less than 1 in 200

Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Dr. Jason Hemming
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: 0.5-3%

Best estimates of 0.
5% - 3.2%. But rates vary based on risk factors such as age, sex, race.

In brief: 0.5-3%

Best estimates of 0.
Dr. Jason Hemming
Dr. Jason Hemming
Dr. Peter H'doubler
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Run in families

Although it is not entirely clear as to what causes aneurysms, there is a definite familial predisposition to their development.
If a parent or sibling has or have had an aneurysm, you are at higher risk and it is important to be checked. This can be done simply and easily with an ultrasound. Contact a vascular surgeon and have the test done at an icavl accredited vascular laboratory.

In brief: Run in families

Dr. Peter H'doubler
Dr. Peter H'doubler
Dr. Steven Seres