My husband has suppressed immunity due to kidney transplant; he recently withstood mrsa. Could it have been lethal?

Could be severe. Any bacterial, viral, fungal, or parasitic infection has a spectrum of severity from very mild to potentially life threatening. When a patient is intentionally immunosuppressed their immune system is not as potent to fight off the infection. Mrsa can be mild or severe, but is problematic because the bacteria is resistant to a number of the commonly used antibiotics, limiting treatment options.
Yes. Your husband is lucky and under the care of very skilled dr's. Infection with MRSA in this setting is often deadly.