My doctor told me I have diverticulosis. Is it same as diverticulitis?

Dr. Dean Giannone
In brief: Diverticulitis
Assuming you have diverticulosis in the first place, the symptoms of diverticulitis would include fever, chills, sweats, nausea, diarrhea and abdominal pains usually either in the lower left or lower right aspect.
Diverticulosis is the condition of having diverticuli that are not infected nor bleeding.

In brief: Diverticulitis
Dr. Dean Giannone
Dr. Dean Giannone
Dr. Allen Kamrava
Surgery - Colorectal
In brief: No
Diverticulosis is a common finding with a western diet.
If it stays as it is, you should be able to live a normal life. For most people this is the case. Every once in a while, it can become inflammed, which is what we call diverticulitis. Diverticulitis is inflammed diverticulosis, which requires treatment.

In brief: No
Dr. Allen Kamrava
Dr. Allen Kamrava
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: No.
Diverticulosis is the disease characterized by the presence of small outpouchings of the colon wall, called diverticuli.
Approximately 20% of people with diverticuli may experience rupture of one of these 'tics', which leads to acute inflammation of the colon: this is called diverticulitis.

In brief: No.
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery