I have diverticulitis. Can I receive colonics?

Dr. Scott Browning
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: No reason to

If you truly have an episode of diverticulitis (acute infection) then a "colonic" would be very risky.
If you simply have diverticulosis (the presence of diverticuli) you may still be at a somewhat increased risk for colonic perforation. The larger question is why would you do a colonic in the first place? They provide no medical benefits.

In brief: No reason to

Dr. Scott Browning
Dr. Scott Browning
Dr. Sean O Donovan
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: No!

Diverticuli are weak spots on the colon, caused by increased pressure within that partially 'blows out' the wall of the colon, like a tire weak spot that also can blow out.
Obviously, forcing high pressure fluid within the colon may rupture one of these weak spots, leading to perforation, possible abscess, even death(!) so don't try a colonic

In brief: No!

Dr. Sean O Donovan
Dr. Sean O Donovan