Deep vein thrombosis with blood clot in leg vein in pregnancy. How long do I need to take medicine for it?

Dr. Lornell Hansen
Phlebology
In brief: 3 months
I would recommend that you are treated for a minimum of 3 months post pregnancy with anti-coagulation.
You should also wear your compression stockings for 2 to 3 years. This can decrease your risk of developing post thrombotic syndrome which is when the valves in the deep veins do not work and you have chronic swelling and pain.

In brief: 3 months
Dr. Lornell Hansen
Dr. Lornell Hansen
Dr. Ted King
Phlebology
In brief: Until after delivery
I completely agree with dr. Vorhies.
Pregnancy increases the risk for getting a blood clot in the leg and the risk increases the further you are into the pregnancy. That risk doesn't return to normal until 6 weeks after delivery. Sometimes there are other risks for getting a blood clot in addition to being pregnant. How long you stay on blood thinners, depends on what other risks you have.

In brief: Until after delivery
I completely agree with dr. Vorhies.
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Robert Vorhies
Surgery - Vascular
In brief: 6 months
Dvt in pregnancy is treated with a variation of Heparin called Lovenox which is injected just under the skin twice a day.
Coumadin (warfarin) is fatal to the fetus and should never be given during pregnancy. A 3 to 6 month recommendation is given depending on the patient's other ongoing risk factors after delivery.

In brief: 6 months
Dr. Robert Vorhies
Dr. Robert Vorhies
Dr. Vicken Poochikian