Deep vein thrombosis with blood clot in leg vein in pregnancy. How long do I need to take medicine for it?

Dr. Lornell Hansen
Phlebology

In brief: 3 months

I would recommend that you are treated for a minimum of 3 months post pregnancy with anti-coagulation.
You should also wear your compression stockings for 2 to 3 years. This can decrease your risk of developing post thrombotic syndrome which is when the valves in the deep veins do not work and you have chronic swelling and pain.

In brief: 3 months

Dr. Robert Vorhies
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: 6 months

Dvt in pregnancy is treated with a variation of Heparin called Lovenox which is injected just under the skin twice a day.
Coumadin (warfarin) is fatal to the fetus and should never be given during pregnancy. A 3 to 6 month recommendation is given depending on the patient's other ongoing risk factors after delivery.

In brief: 6 months

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham