How long does it take before I know I have bed bugs in my hotel room?

In brief: How to tell

First - before even making reservations, check on line to read ratings & read comments by recent residents at that hotel.
That may key you in on hotels that should be avoided. Here are some tell tale signs that your hotel room could be infested w bedbugs. First you may notice blood smears on bedding. Blood smears usually turn black over time. Second you may see amber colored “shells” which occurs.

In brief: How to tell

when the bed bug sheds it's exoskeleton. A third sign of infestation is bug feces on sheets (brown- black dots). The fourth sign can occur with a heavy infestation – an odor that is described as “musty sweet” due to the bug's secretions. Don't expect to “see” the eggs. They are is small crevices, translucent and about 1/16th of an inch in length. You normally don't see a bed bug (they are nocturnal). The adult is 1/4th inch long & flat. **Bed bug bites may cause no symptoms or signs in some people. When there is a reaction, it may not show until several days after the bed bug has bitten. It can cause pink, swollen, itchy lesions on the skin. What can be telltale is when there is a linear track of lesions from sequential feedings – but that does not always occur.
Dr. Maureen Mays
Clinical Lipidology

In brief: About a week

About one week after sleeping in the suspected spot....

In brief: About a week

Dr. Maureen Mays
Dr. Maureen Mays