Does glucosamine and chondroitin really work for everyone?

Yes. The combination of glucosamine and chondroitin has been shown in studies to (1) provide a degree of pain relief in the short term, and (2) trigger growth of new cartilage when taken for at least two years straight. So it can help you pain and reverse some of the chronic damage. You can find this in the health food store. But it's from shark so fish allergies may be an issue.
No. Glucosamine and chondroitin are supplements that some believe help osteoarthritis pain; studies have shown mixed results; the american academy of orthopedic surgeons recommend against routine prescription of these for knee oa as a randomized controlled trial showed no benefit; believers recommend 1500 mg of glucosamine + 1200 of chondroitin daily for many weeks; maybe try + see if it works for you.