What to expect at my first rheumatology appointment?

Medical work up . You should expect a history, physical and maybe lab tests depending on your signs and symptoms.
A very intense visit. My patients are astonished at the length of my patients questionaire and ros. Expect to have a thorough examination. Wear clothing appropriate for an exam. All your joints will be looked at and you will be thoroughly examined in areas where problems might exist. It is a time intensive first visit.
H;P first. First and foremost is a thorough h;p as rheumatology is a cognitive specialty and most diagnoses require clinical criteria. Prior review of records helps and additional labs/ imaging are ordered in most consults. Joint aspiration/ injections may be needed on an initial visit especially synovial fluid analysis.