What to expect at my first rheumatology appointment?

Dr. Vijay Karia

In brief: Medical work up

You should expect a history, physical and maybe lab tests depending on your signs and symptoms.

In brief: Medical work up

Dr. Vijay Karia
Dr. Vijay Karia
Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: A very intense visit

My patients are astonished at the length of my patients questionaire and ros.
Expect to have a thorough examination. Wear clothing appropriate for an exam. All your joints will be looked at and you will be thoroughly examined in areas where problems might exist. It is a time intensive first visit.

In brief: A very intense visit

Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Jeffrey Alper
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: H;P first

First and foremost is a thorough h;p as rheumatology is a cognitive specialty and most diagnoses require clinical criteria.
Prior review of records helps and additional labs/ imaging are ordered in most consults. Joint aspiration/ injections may be needed on an initial visit especially synovial fluid analysis.

In brief: H;P first

Dr. Jeffrey Alper
Dr. Jeffrey Alper