If there is no bcir surgeon nearby, what do you recommend?

Dr. Jason Hemming
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: IBD surgeon

I would make sure that you are being seen by a general / colorectal surgeon with a lot of experience with ibd.
If that is the case, ask him/her for a referral to a tertiary center where there is a surgeon who would be able to perform this for you.

In brief: IBD surgeon

Dr. Jason Hemming
Dr. Jason Hemming
Dr. Sean O Donovan
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: Ask Colorectal surg!

Many alternatives exist to the bcir, and may actually be preferable.
Your local colorectal surgeon should be familiar with these and can discuss all the pros and cons with you. Search for ileoanal j pouch or go to www.Jpouch.Org for more info prior to your discussion.

In brief: Ask Colorectal surg!

Dr. Sean O Donovan
Dr. Sean O Donovan
Dr. Adam Smith