Why did the doctor tell me to control coughing and gasping during thoracotomy?

Dr. SG Erman

In brief: Prevention

Rapid changes of pressure within your chest during thoacotomy could lead to movement of the lungs and other tissue, which could lead to tissue injury while the chest tube was being placed.

In brief: Prevention

Dr. SG Erman
Dr. SG Erman
Dr. Mark Weston
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Whweree you consciou

Wham you breathe deeply the lungs inflate and can come into thopertive field probably wanted to avoid dropping a lung and wanted to see when you exhale the lungs deflate and get smaller just want usually the tube controls the lung size i'm not certain how you could have athoracotomy and be conscious to control breathing these are done under general anesthesia all i my day.

In brief: Whweree you consciou

Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology