Are there any contraindications to having the continent ileostomy?

Dr. Johnny Green
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: Crohn's disease

A continent ileostomy uses about 18" of your intestine to create the internal pouch.
If you have a chronic inflammatory process that can effect other areas of your small intestine in the future your risks of future surgery and having too little small bowel for nutritional support increase. If the small bowel is normal then continent ileostomy can be considered.

In brief: Crohn's disease

Dr. Johnny Green
Dr. Johnny Green
Dr. Alain Ades
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Continent ileostomy

I usually do not advise it.
It takes more bowel to construct, and chances of failure are higher. If one is to be constructed, it should be done by an expert colorectal surgeon.

In brief: Continent ileostomy

I usually do not advise it.
Dr. Alain Ades
Dr. Alain Ades