When does menstrual period return after giving birth? I exclusively breastfed for 3 months. Baby is now 19 weeks old and I have not had a period yet.

Dr. Robert Greer

In brief: No worries

The breast feeding releases a hormone (prolactin) that may naturally inhibit your ovaries and uterus from preparing for another child-you deserve a break -and thank you for breast feeding:the benefits are immense on many different levels.
-.

In brief: No worries

-.
Dr. Robert Greer
Dr. Robert Greer
Dr. Bryan Treacy
Gynecology

In brief: Variable

Breast feeding delays the return of menstrual period but is not an effective form of birth control.
If no breast feeding, menses usually returns in 11-12 weeks but can occur much sooner.

In brief: Variable

Dr. Bryan Treacy
Dr. Bryan Treacy
Dr. Jane Van Dis