If I take melatonin regularly each evening to successfully to treat insomnia and miss a dose, will I experience sleep disruption?

Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: Melatonin
Possible but not likely, if it was working when taken regularly.

In brief: Melatonin
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: Maybe
Melatonin is available over-the-counter so it does not have to pass through the same scrutiny as a pharmaceutical.
We know less about it as a result. We do know that the body naturally produces melatonin in response to darkness, and it is associated with somnolence. It is possible that one can become accustomed to taking it and experience sleep disruption from missing a dose.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Robert Berkowitz
Dr. Robert Berkowitz
Dr. Steve Drabek
In brief: No
Not necessarily. Sleeping medications are not something that makes you sleep, they may help with sleep.

In brief: No
Dr. Steve Drabek
Dr. Steve Drabek
Dr. Vicken Poochikian