If I take melatonin regularly each evening to successfully to treat insomnia and miss a dose, will I experience sleep disruption?

Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Melatonin

Possible but not likely, if it was working when taken regularly.

In brief: Melatonin

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Maybe

Melatonin is available over-the-counter so it does not have to pass through the same scrutiny as a pharmaceutical.
We know less about it as a result. We do know that the body naturally produces melatonin in response to darkness, and it is associated with somnolence. It is possible that one can become accustomed to taking it and experience sleep disruption from missing a dose.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Robert Berkowitz
Dr. Robert Berkowitz
Dr. Steve Drabek

In brief: No

Not necessarily. Sleeping medications are not something that makes you sleep, they may help with sleep.

In brief: No

Dr. Steve Drabek
Dr. Steve Drabek
Dr. Peter Kurzweil