I have a mole on my face that is painful and today I noticed there is a hard lump underneath the skin next to it. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Coyle Connolly
Dermatology

In brief: Painful mole

There could be an underlying cyst or infection if the mole became irritated .
Or the mole itself is deeper in the skin. In any case a dermatologist can evaluate and treat the condition.

In brief: Painful mole

Dr. Coyle Connolly
Dr. Coyle Connolly

In brief: Get it checked out

Moles should not be painful.
A hard lump underneath the skin may be due to a deep component of the mole, but it is hard to say without seeing and examining. A dermatologist can examine both the mole and the underlying lump to give you an accurate diagnosis.

In brief: Get it checked out

Moles should not be painful.
Dr. Roman Bronfenbrener
Dr. Roman Bronfenbrener