What can I do to prevent constipation while traveling?

Dr. Sarah Kohl
Travel Medicine

In brief: Manage your diet

Constipation is common while traveling.
Drink lots of water and eat fresh fruits and vegetables when you can. Bring a mild laxative such as milk of magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) pills 'just in case' you get bound up. The most important thing is to drink lots of water.

In brief: Manage your diet

Constipation is common while traveling.
Dr. Sarah Kohl
Dr. Sarah Kohl
Dr. Bryan Levey

In brief: Agree with diet

Constipation, in the vast majority of cases, has one of several nutritional causes: either you're not drinking enough water, you're not eating enough fiber, or you're eating too much of something constipating (low fiber junk food etc.
). If you can figure out which one is the problem, you can cure the constipation.

In brief: Agree with diet

Dr. Bryan Levey
Dr. Bryan Levey
Dr. Eric Kaplan
WHen people travel by car they tend to not drink to avoid frequent stops. When they fly, similarly they avoid drinking to minimize rest stops. When flying I recommend 20 ounces per hour of air travel on top of the 80 ounces per day for regular daily needs. Try to minimize caffeine and alcohol when traveling frequently.