My mole is an irregular shape and I've had it all my life. Recently, however, the area around it has grown within a couple months. Will it need to be surgically removed? If so, with what procedure?

Dr. Ray Tidman

In brief: Excize

You are right to seek help.
Moles the change: size , shape, color, or contour... Are associated with melanoma. See you physician for a biopsy soon.

In brief: Excize

You are right to seek help.
Dr. Ray Tidman
Dr. Ray Tidman
Dr. Mandakini Patel

In brief: Moles & melanoma

When the moles are irregularly shaped and growing suddenly, it is a cause to be concerned.
These days dermatologists do a shave biopsy and send it for pathological review. Depending on the results, further treatment should be planned. Please see your doctor asap if you have not done so yet.

In brief: Moles & melanoma

Dr. Mandakini Patel
Dr. Mandakini Patel
Dr. Stephen Camacho

In brief: Skin biopsy

A mole can be partially or completely removed.
The skin is numbed and the lesion is cut out. It is then sent to pathology to look for cancerous cells. The pathology determines whether further treatment is needed.

In brief: Skin biopsy

Dr. Stephen Camacho
Dr. Stephen Camacho
Dr. Ajay Pathak
General Practice

In brief: Need biopsy.

As the size and shape has changed would recommend biopsy which is an in office procedure.

In brief: Need biopsy.

Dr. Ajay Pathak
Dr. Ajay Pathak