I had some bloodwork done and my albumin was 21. What is albumin, and what does this mean?

Dr. Reginald Gohh
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Probably lab error

Albumin is a protein made by the liver and is measured through blood testing.
It is usually used as a marker of nutrition or liver disease. Normal values are generally between 3.5 to 5. The value of 21 is unusually high and is most likely an error.

In brief: Probably lab error

Dr. Reginald Gohh
Dr. Reginald Gohh
David Miller

In brief: Blood protein

Albumin is a protein, produced by the liver, that is found in the blood.
It does a lot of stuff including carrying drugs and other stuff around as well as maintaining the correct osmotic pressure in your blood. As a blood test, it is a measure of liver function. The doc who ordered the blood tests should explain the results to you at your next encounter.

In brief: Blood protein

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student