If I have constipation, does this mean that I have irritable bowel syndrome?

Dr. Troy Reyna
Surgery - Pediatric

In brief: No

Constipation is common and diet related.
Ibs is not common.

In brief: No

Ibs is not common.
Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Jan Rakinic
I agree that constipation and IBS are not synonymous. However, irritable bowel syndrome IS pretty common: it is INFLAMMATORY BOWEL DISEASE that is not common.
Dr. George Valdez

In brief: Depends

Either way, metamucil or similar supplement is helpful, also be sure to drink more water, and get daily aerobic exercise at least 15 min daily.

In brief: Depends

Dr. George Valdez
Dr. George Valdez
Dr. Vasu Brown
Integrative Medicine

You can have ibs-c which is with constipation, ibs-d with diarrhea or IBS with alternating constipation with diarrhea - total 3 types.

Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Mila McManus

In brief: Maybe

Constipation is often related to low thyroid function (despite normal labs) or a food intolerance that causes inflammation of the GI tract.
Could also be magnesium deficiency. You can start with adding magnesium supplement, 250-500mg twice daily. In my practice, i find that constipation isn't usually due to typical 'dehydration and lack of fiber intake'. It's more likely due to above mentioned.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Mila McManus
Dr. Mila McManus
Dr. Jonathan Jassey