How can I stop neck soreness and stiffness?

NSAIDs; massage. Anti-inflammatory medications-ibuprofen, Naproxen canhelp. Massage, accupuncture, cervical traction, moist heat can also be veryeffective.
Options. Dr skluth gave a great answer. I just wanted to echo an option she discussed. Acupuncture can be very beneficial in targetting trigger (ashi) points. It can improve range of motion, reduce pain and inflammation from neck, shoulder conditions. It is often well complimented by gua sha (korean scraping). Moist heat is very helpful as well.