What gene causes lupus erythematosus?

Dr. Alfred Kim
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Many genes

The previous answer is right with several genes associated with lupus, but no one knows how those genes cause disease.
I think it's important to remember that there is likely many ways to develop lupus symptoms, and this will vary between people. So some of these known genes will be important for some, and not important for others. As we sequence more patients, we'll have more answers.

In brief: Many genes

Dr. Alfred Kim
Dr. Alfred Kim
Dr. M. Christine Lee
Dermatology

In brief: Numerous genes

There are multiple genes found as the cause of lupus.
One is a mutation in the trex1 gene. Other genes include: blk, itgam, pxk, kiaa1542, rs10798269, and bank1 and there are more than a dozen of other known combination of genes.

In brief: Numerous genes

Dr. M. Christine Lee
Dr. M. Christine Lee
Dr. Marsha Davis