Have been advised to start taking glucosamine and cod liver oil, for stiff joint pain?

No evidence...... There is no evidence that combo will help you with stiff joint pain. Sorry.
Gluc/chr good. The combination of glucosamine and chondroitin has been shown in studies to (1) provide a degree of pain relief in the short term, and (2) trigger growth of new cartilage when taken for at least two years straight. So it can help you pain and reverse some of the chronic damage. You can find this in the health food store. Not so sure the cod liver oil will help much, but couldn't hurt .