When should I change my colostomy pouch? How often?

Dr. Jason Hemming
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Depends

Ask your caregiver about how often to change your colostomy pouch.
The amount of time that you should leave your pouch on your abdomen depends on many things. The type of pouch you wear affects the amount of time you can wear a pouch. The kind and amount of stool you have also affects how long the pouch stays on.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Jason Hemming
Dr. Jason Hemming

In brief: As needed

You need to become very familiar with your colostomy and the care of it you should consult with an ostomy nurse to help you.
By the pouch i suppose you mean the bag. As long as it fits well and is not leaking and is kept clean it can be used over and over.

In brief: As needed

Dr. Michael Murray
Dr. Michael Murray