What is a transverse colostomy?

Dr. Mark Kuhnke
Surgery
In brief: ABDOMINAL OPENING
The second part of the colon, which runs from the right upper quadrant to the left upper quadrant is appropriately named the transverse colon.
If this part of the colon is brought up to the surface of the abdominal wall, as a stoma, it is a transverse colostomy. I hope this helps. Good luck.

In brief: ABDOMINAL OPENING
Dr. Mark Kuhnke
Dr. Mark Kuhnke
Dr. Brett Kalmowitz
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: External drainage
The colon is interrupted and brought to the skin so the fecal flow can drain into a bag.
This can be permanent or temporary, meaning a surgeon may be able to reconnect the bowels again to restore normal bowel function. One of the anatomical parts of the colon that typically traverses across the body is the transverse colon, so this is where the colon will end for a transverse colostomy.

In brief: External drainage
Dr. Brett Kalmowitz
Dr. Brett Kalmowitz