Is colchicine safe as maintenance to prevent gout attacks?

In brief: No
Colchicine is used for acute attacks.
See your physician for better approaches for long term prevention.

In brief: No
Colchicine is used for acute attacks.
Dr. Angelo Mitsos
Dr. Angelo Mitsos
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry
In brief: I am going to be
The contrarian here as i read 2 colleagues state "no", but it certainly can be used as a maintenance to prevent attacks.
As a treatment it is given .5mg every hour on the hour until one gets diarreah or throws up. As a maintenance dose it is given .5mg per day. I know of many patients that are on this regimen and i was not even the one who put them on it.

In brief: I am going to be
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Brandon Macy
Podiatry
In brief: No.
Colchicine is for acute attacks.
There are some newer medications out there, but allopuriniol has been used for many years for this purpose.

In brief: No.
Colchicine is for acute attacks.
Dr. Brandon Macy
Dr. Brandon Macy
Dr. Marsha Davis