Is colchicine safe as maintenance to prevent gout attacks?

No. Colchicine is used for acute attacks. See your physician for better approaches for long term prevention.
I am going to be . The contrarian here as i read 2 colleagues state "no", but it certainly can be used as a maintenance to prevent attacks. As a treatment it is given .5mg every hour on the hour until one gets diarreah or throws up. As a maintenance dose it is given .5mg per day. I know of many patients that are on this regimen and i was not even the one who put them on it.
No. Colchicine is for acute attacks. There are some newer medications out there, but allopuriniol has been used for many years for this purpose.