Completely cut out red meat and booze if gout?

Try to. It's highly recommended to avoid alcohol because it adds uric acid and keeps your kidneys from flushing uric acid out (double whammy). Vegetarians do best with gout but just avoiding red meat is great too.
It isn't an allergy, So you don't have to eliminate the dietary triggers altogether in most cases, but you definitely want to minimize the risk, so the less alcohol (esp. Beer and red wine), red meat, organ meat, shellfish and other trigger foods you can eat, the less likely you will be to have an attack.
Shellfish, No. Although the evidence is scant we recommend avoid shellfish like lobster, shrimp. We suspect organ meats like liver or pancreas (sweet breads) are culprits and prime rib. As I said food and wine are named, but in my opinion, not convicted. I'll "stay" on my answer.