Is ankle swelling associated with heat exhaustion or due to vasodilation?

Both. Ankle swelling has many causes including vasodilation, venous insufficiency, lymphedema, high blood pressure, kidney problems, etc... Heat exhaustion will cause a temporary shut down of the kidneys, thereby also possibly causing swelling to the ankles.
Edema. Swelling about the ankle may have a different sources ranging from sprains and strains to increased sodium intake to lymphedema, etc.... See your physician for further eval of the edema and reccs.....