If I have herniated disks can I still weightlift?

Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management

In brief: Yes/No

As far as what sport is safe, that is a million dollar question.
Really I would say, play what you enjoy and if the disk becomes a problem then seek medical care right away so you don't have any lasting or activity limiting effects. Avoid any spine loading exercises or any exercises that cause you to twist with weights.

In brief: Yes/No

Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Qamar Khan

In brief: Answer this question

If the 2 shock absorbers on the only car you could ever own were broken or poorly functional CAN you still load up with heavy cargo & drive around as you did before the shocks went bad? YES YOU CAN! But, how long will it take before something WORSE happens to your car and it simply becomes UNDRIVEABLE? WOULD you do that to the only car you could ever own? Yes or No? Why or Why not?

In brief: Answer this question

Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Dr. Lynne Weixel
Wonderful answer!
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Usually

As long as you have minimal or no symptoms a d do primarily bech or nachine work with lower weights and higher number of reps while avoiding squars and deadlifts.

In brief: Usually

Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Eric Weisman