Is a palpable lump in the side a known symptom of colon cancer?

Not usually. It takes a large colon mass in a thin person to be felt through the abdominal muscles. More likely would be a hernia or benign fatty tumor. Recommend seeing your doctor for further evaluation.
Maybe. If you have noted a lump that was not there before or has increased in size, get it properly evaluated. It may be colon cancer or any other intrabdominal or abdominal wall tumor or merely a hernia or abscess. In any case get it evaluated by an expert/specialist.