How should you decide which colorectal cancer screening test (s) to get and how often to be screened?

Colonoscopy. Average risk people should have colonoscopies every 10 years starting at 50 until 70-75. This may be tempered by medical resources or a persons medical history.
Personal preference. While most people get a colonoscopy, there are several tests that work well to find or prevent colon cancer. These include testing the stool for hidden blood and a new test for cancer cells in the stool. All of these save lives from colon cancer equally well. For more info on what works to save lives from cancer and other diseases, check out the Prevention Checklist iPhone/iPad app. .
Colonoscopy is best. The best screening study is a complete colonoscopy to the cecum (entire colon and rectum). With no family history of colorectal cancer, a screening study should be done at age 50 and repeated every 5 to 10 years if no polyps are found on the exam. Between colonoscopies, a fecal occult blood study should be done yearly. New tests are being developed that test for cancer cells in the stool.