During a recent anterior diskectomy, the neurosurgeon had to move my vocal cords. When will I get my voice back?

Dr. Kevin Vaught
Neurosurgery

In brief: Time

Usually in 3-6 months most patients will recover from the stretch injury of the recurrent laryngeal nerve from the retractors used for the ACDF.

In brief: Time

Dr. Kevin Vaught
Dr. Kevin Vaught
Dr. Mark Weston
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Very high

Spontaneous recovery all I have seen are resolved by 6 months I have seen one permanent vocal cord problem can be stiffened by ENT docs can salvage unavoidable 1% complication part of the reason why surgery is tried last and carefully considered sorry it usually gets better by itself.

In brief: Very high

Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Eric Weisman