How does colon cancer affect the body?

Depends. Early on there may be no effect. As the disease progresses undiagnosed, you may develop a change in bowels, blood in stool, abdominal pain, weight loss, loss of appetite, lethargy, loss of stamina, bowel obstruction, shortness of breath, anemia, early diagnosis in high risk patients or regular colonoscopies is the best way to avoid all of the above.
Lots of changes. Colon cancer can lead to pain, abdominal swelling, bloating, bloody stools, spread to other organs and eventually death if left untreated. Fortunately we have many effective therapies for patients with colon cancer.
Bleeding. In early phase it will cause change in bowel movement, bleeding from the gastrointestinal tract. Later, it may cause obstruction due to stricture. Eventually, the cancer spread and takes on the general well being of the host and kills the patient.