My mom was diagnosed with a avm brain tumor; what exactly is in it?

Vascular malform. An arteriovascular malformation is not a cancer or a true tumor. It is a congenital blood vessel malformation that may be only an incidental finding. If very large the avm could bleed, compress nearby brain tissue, or cause epilepsy. The avm is comprised of arteries and veins which connect directly and abnormally.
Avm or brain tumor? I believe that your question is avm vs brain tumor. This is likely a radiologic diagnosis and says that the appearance on the MRI scan is either avm or brain tumor. Avm refers to a "tangle of blood vessels" where the arteries flow directoy into the veins. These have a potential to bleed. These are different from brain tumors which have abnormal cells that grow and proliferate and increase in size.