Do hot dogs cause cancer?

Dr. Charles Cattano
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: Eat fewer hot dogs
Hot dogs are relatively cheap and taste good.
Watch out however for what's in them--read labels carefully to assess what meat is used and how much fat and preservatives are involved in their manufacture. Excessive dietary animal fats have been associated with an increased risk of cancers of the GI tract . Instead, eat a well balanced diet high in monosaturates, whole grains, fruits, vegetables.

In brief: Eat fewer hot dogs
Dr. Charles Cattano
Dr. Charles Cattano
Pathology
In brief: I doubt it
Despite the presence of nitrites as preservatives and heterocyclic hydrocarbons that mutate DNA in cell cultures (as in any flame-cooked food), studies are inconsistent and even the 2005 study in the JAMA (red meat) shows only at best a weak effect.
"The Cancer Project" is a group of activist vegetarians citing studies selectively and, in my opinion, misleadingly. It's their billboard.

In brief: I doubt it
Dr. Morton Levitt
Pathology
In brief: Hot Dogs and Cancer
Hot dogs and other processed meats containing nitrites as preservatives are associated with cancer in some studies, since the nitrites can be converted to cancer-causing nitrosamines.
Vitamin c is known to decrease the actions of nitrosamines in the body.

In brief: Hot Dogs and Cancer
Dr. Morton Levitt
Dr. Morton Levitt
Dr. Marsha Davis