How does cancer chemotherapy affect the healing of a broken bone? Will the bone have to heal after chemo?

Dr. Herbert Duvivier
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: May slow it down.
Chemotherapy generally slows down the healing process.
I don't believe it will stop the bone from healing but it will most likely slow the process down so it will take a little longer than usual. If i remember correctly it usually takes bones 4-6 weeks to heal.

In brief: May slow it down.
Dr. Herbert Duvivier
Dr. Herbert Duvivier
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology
In brief: A path fx of
Bones can occur, meaning the cancer caused the break, may require 'fixation surgery" and radiotherapy.
I traumatic fracture heals with the bone precursors setting down knitting fibrous than calcific repair employing inflammatory cytokines. The chemothreapy might slow healing, so precuationary measures and increased cast time/not weight bearing may be needed. Ask the orthopedist.

In brief: A path fx of
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery