Cancer of the breast is a universal thing, or related to western diet and lifestyle?

Dr. Marci Dietrich
Bariatrics
In brief: Yes somewhat
The short answer is we don't really know.
We do know that obesity is related to an increased risk of some breast cancers we also know that exerise helps decrease the risk and potential recurrence. But, unfortunately, not much is being done to investigate environmental pollutants; like industrial wastes, radiation, emf, food additives, etc.Only 15% of breast cancer donations is spent in find causes.

In brief: Yes somewhat
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Marci Dietrich
I would really like to expand my discussion on this topic. As it is not discussed fully by the media appropriately.. It is disconcerting to me that the "truth" has yet to be disclosed to the public. Dr, Marci Dietrich
Dr. Seema Patel
Holistic Medicine
In brief: Possibly related
Breast cancer is definitely greater in western countries but so is obesity and high fat diets.
No one is immune to cancer even with a healthy lifestyle but you decrease the probability of it. The us has 70% of the population with a weight problem. Being overweight increases your risk of every cancer as well as heart disease. Eat more plants, keep a healthy weight, don't smoke or use alcohol.

In brief: Possibly related
Dr. Seema Patel
Dr. Seema Patel
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: Likely yes and other
While breast cancer is unfortunately a very common problems- worldwide as well as in us, the incidence is increased by some risk factors incluiding- obesity, sedentary lifestyle, alcohol, tobacco, red meat/dietary habit, previous radiation to the chest area, hormone use, genetic mutation/ factors, delayed pregnancy, etc.
Yes, i think is related to dietary habit at some degree.

In brief: Likely yes and other
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Liawaty Ho
2 comments
Dr. James Okamoto
It is also related to age. As women live longer, the risk of developing breast cancer increases. For example, a 60 yr old woman has a 3.45% chance of developing breast cancer in 10 yrs, whereas a 30 yr old woman has only a 0.43% chance of developing breast cancer in 10 yrs. Countries with longer lifespans will have more cases of breast cancer.
Dr. Marci Dietrich
I do agree, but I would like to add that environmental toxins, industrial pollution, food additives, pesticides, other chemicals also can be implicated. I am very concerned that these environmental pollutants are not being adequately researched. We need to find and eliminate the causes of breast cancer-prevention.
Dr. Steven Tucker
In brief: Related - YES
Breast cancer is collection of different cancers arising in the breast.
It is clearly associated with lifestyle factors in many cases but not all. A sedentary lifestyle, delayed child bearing, not breast-feeding, obesity, alcohol, and even smoking (a smaller risk here) are all traits of developed countries. Rates of bc track very closely to urbanization and development.

In brief: Related - YES
Dr. Steven Tucker
Dr. Steven Tucker
Pathology
In brief: Ancient disease
It is fairly common in mummies from the ancient world, and the classic greek, roman, and arabic writers wrote extensively about it.
It is far more common where many women defer or forego childbearing and/or lactation. A possible relationship to diet and sedentary lifestyles is still an open question; i believe the claim that a high-fat diet causes it has been amply refuted.

In brief: Ancient disease
2 comments
Dr. Marci Dietrich
I totally disagree, it is time to acknowlege that there is far more breast cancer in today's women than in earlier society. Toxins, drugs-hormonal treatments, pesticides, emf, etc are not being evaluated. A type of breast cancer which is quite aggresssive is associated with high fertility. ie Triple-negative breast .cancer. Neg for estrogen, progesterone or Her-2 receptors. There are at least 6 sub types. There is not adequate investgation. Long term survival rates have not increased.
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Additional comment--I made an error in my original comment to Dr. Friedlander's answer; Death rates from breast cancer have not declined but treatment for breast cancer ie; surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, has prolonged breast cancer patients lives; for those advances we are all very grateful.
Dr. Ly Phan
Surgery
In brief: Nondiscriminatory
Breast cancer occur in all ethnic group.
Dietary play very little if any.

In brief: Nondiscriminatory
Dietary play very little if any.
Dr. Ly Phan
Dr. Ly Phan
Dr. Adam Levy