What sort of donor typing is done when they swab your mouth to see who you might match with?

Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Marrow donation...
The buccal (inside cheek) swab is most commonly done for the purpose of identifying & categorizing bone marrow donors.
This is an easy test that determines exactly whose life a heroic donor can save. There are >30, 000 "types" of marrow, & getting the right match is critical. These "life-savers" have rescued many thousands of individuals since 1989. (that's the year a stranger saved my wife's life).

In brief: Marrow donation...
Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Dr. Myra Skluth
In brief: DNA
A mouth swab collects cells from which your entire genetic make up can be identified.

In brief: DNA
Dr. Myra Skluth
Dr. Myra Skluth
Dr. Jack Hinkle