What is your opinion on infant circumcision?

Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
In brief: Still controversial
Aside from religious reasons, compelling data support it as std & personal health preventive measure.
Surely painful (but ways around that) as infant but more so (& more complicated) as adult. Ideally (& possibly legally), child should be allowed to make the decision, but takes years b4 can make informed decision & then peer pressure comes in. At this point let parents opt 4 best interests of boy.

In brief: Still controversial
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. George Klauber
Mostly agree with Dr. Lewis, however an infant circumcision can be performed 30 - 40 minutes after application of LMX or EMLA anesthetic cream & apply 2% lidocaine jelly to instruments which makes procedure virtually painless. We give the baby Sweetease ( concentrated sugar solution) to suck on during the procedure to release endorphins so some babies don't even whimper during the circumcision.
Dr. Randolph Thomas
In brief: Let the boy decide
I 'm against routine infant circumcision as i believe it is unnecessary and it does cause pain (much less discomfort however with a dorsal penile block in skilled hands).
I recognize that it is sometimes performed secondary to observance of religious customs and I do not object to that. I discourage parents who request it secondary to health concerns as the data doesn't support it in n. America.

In brief: Let the boy decide
Dr. Randolph Thomas
Dr. Randolph Thomas
In brief: Generally positive
Long answer is too long short answer-- there are several medical justifications for circumcision including less risk of urinary tract infection , less hygiene issues, possible decreased risk of acquiring aids.
Negatives include unnatural, possibly painful. Usually parents look at dad and decide to make the baby look like him.

In brief: Generally positive
Dr. Richard Ohnmacht
Dr. Richard Ohnmacht
Dr. Lillian Schapiro
In brief: WHO says yes
The world health organization has a major campaign in africa to encourage infant circumcision to prevent aids.
Circumcision has long been known to protect against penile cancer and now we can add aids protection.

In brief: WHO says yes
Dr. Lillian Schapiro
Dr. Lillian Schapiro
Dr. Matthias Peuster
Pediatrics - Cardiology
In brief: Other countries
Recently a german court has ruled against circumcision.
No evidence could be presented justifying the procedure and parental consent was nullified in the absence of a medical indication. Think about it. Would anyone dare to have their daughters circumsized? Not different at all!

In brief: Other countries
Dr. Matthias Peuster
Dr. Matthias Peuster
3 comments
Dr. George Klauber
This was both a racist & terrible decision by the German court in question. Rightly provoked a national & international outrage as it applies across the board to all baby boys of all religious persuasions & in particular to Jews & Muslims. There are 2 million enraged Turkish immigrants in Germany & a few Jewish families. Routine circumcision is controversial, but, making it a criminal offense is shameful. Then comparing circumcision in girls (rightly a criminal offense) to boys is like comparing arm ampuation to finger nail trimming!
Dr. Matthias Peuster
Well i leave it there: Cutting labia=horrible. Cutting foreskin=benign Your ignorance can't be justified by labeling others racists.
Dr. Matthias Peuster
Pediatrics - Cardiology
In brief: This is not africa
We are not in africa though and the data on HIV in western countries is very weak! also circumcision can't replace condoms.
We should stick to the facts instead of mixing cultural and religious beliefs with mostly made up scientific evidence. (at least for our western world).

In brief: This is not africa
Dr. Matthias Peuster
Dr. Matthias Peuster
Dr. Matthias Peuster
Pediatrics - Cardiology
In brief: Opinion
My personal opinion: no one has the right to decide for an infant about a medically unnecessary procedure.
In the western developed world there in no medical justification. So medical procedures without consent and indications may be considered battery. Controversial topic. Many factors feed into the debate.

In brief: Opinion
Dr. Matthias Peuster
Dr. Matthias Peuster
Dr. Shontae Buffington