I was diagnosed with a nasal infection 3 days ago and they gave me bactrim. I think I just have the flu ad my conditions haven't changed after being in the medication now and i'm not seeing any improvement. Should I go back and request regular antibioti

Dr. Gerry Tolbert

In brief: No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) is a "regular antibiotic", called sulfamethoxazole.
It's a pretty potent drug. As for your symptoms, most nasal congestion is caused by viral infections or allergies, not bacterial infections. Most infections take 10-14 days to pass, and if it's viral (like the flu) there is no antibiotic that will treat it. Your body simply has to fight off the infection on its own.

In brief: No

Dr. Gerry Tolbert
Dr. Gerry Tolbert
Dr. M. Jay Petruska

In brief: URI

You should probably return for a recheck.
Your symptoms may be from a virus, in which case, antibiotics would be ineffective.

In brief: URI

Dr. M. Jay Petruska
Dr. M. Jay Petruska
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatrics - Pulmonology

In brief: Management

I agree that this could be a viral infection in which case the antibiotics would not be effective.
If your physician has prescribed antibiotics for signs/symptoms of a bacterial sinusitis,Amoxil is effective, but some patients require more than one course to clear the infection. In addition, gently rinsing with nasal saline will help to keep the nasal passages clear while on treatment.

In brief: Management

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology