At 7 weeks pregnant what causes the heartbeat to be low?

Dr. Guy VanDell

In brief: It may be normal

In very early pregnancy the low heart rate can be normal.
Typically it should increase quickly but many times if you're doing an ultrasound very early that can actually be a normal finding. My recommendation would be to repeat the sonogram later to find out that the heart rate has increased.

In brief: It may be normal

Dr. Guy VanDell
Dr. Guy VanDell
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Depends.

If your dates have been confirmed by ultrasound, the fetal heart should be beating at >100 beats per minute (bpm).
Lower rates are associated with increased risk for miscarriage (the lower the rate the higher the risk). If you are at 5-6 weeks by ultrasound, then even heartbeats at 70 BPM are within normal range and have no adverse implications.

In brief: Depends.

Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Jane Van Dis