Citrus bergamot, is it worth taking? I have been eating right and trying to exerise but I just want a little natural boost to cholestrol!

Pathology
In brief: Doubtful
The reported 2009 spanish study in a non-nih-listed journal was uncontrolled and gave results that sound too good to be true; it's not been duplicated.
A 2011 controlled rat study from italy confirmed a mild effect including inhibition of the same enzyme that statins work on. I eat orange peel myself and the tablets are probably safe -- but you're really helping yourself by staying fit.

In brief: Doubtful
Dr. Gerry Tolbert
In brief: If it doesn't hurt
There are several possible benefits to taking bergamot, but none have much data in the literature.
The purported effects on cholesterol are small, and honestly, you're more likely to get a bigger benefit from decreasing animal products in your diet and continuing your exercise program. All that being said, if you don't have adverse effects, it's probably ok to take.

In brief: If it doesn't hurt
Dr. Gerry Tolbert
Dr. Gerry Tolbert
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine