I'm in the uk and have a sabacous cyst in a private place. Nhs refuses to treat because it's cosmetic. What can I say to get them to treat me?

Dr. Robert Alexander
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: It is a pathology

Sebaceous cysts are accumulations of skin oil due to failure of ducts to get it to the outside skin.
Body reacts as if a foreign material and walls it off with fibrous tissue forming a pseudocyst. This requires opening and drainage, to include the gland tissue causing it. May become infected and require bigger surgery. Not cosmetic.

In brief: It is a pathology

Dr. Robert Alexander
Dr. Robert Alexander
Dr. M. Christine Lee
Dermatology

In brief: Painful or bleeding?

Is it painful or bleeding? Does it seem infected, draining pus? Does it interfere with urination or sexual intercourse? Is it rapidly growing which might be a sign that it might not be a cyst but a tumor or cancer.

In brief: Painful or bleeding?

Dr. M. Christine Lee
Dr. M. Christine Lee
Dr. Suman Das
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: If it is infected

If it is large and infected, you should not have any problem getting treated.
But, if it is small and asymptomatic you may have to do lot of explaining.

In brief: If it is infected

Dr. Suman Das
Dr. Suman Das
Dr. Jane Van Dis