Can appendicitis be completely treated without surgery that is with anti-biotics?

Dr. Paul Harper
Surgery

In brief: Yes and no.

Some studies state that in selected patients you can get by without surgery.
I have tried this and it has worked in carefully selected patients. I, however, do not like this approach. I think it is dangerous. The reason it is being done is to prevent surgery. Well the treatment of a surgical disease is surgery. Appendicitis, as far as I am concerned is a surgical disease.

In brief: Yes and no.

Dr. Paul Harper
Dr. Paul Harper
Dr. Tracy Berg
Surgery

In brief: Surgical cure

Appendicitis is a surgical disease.
Appendix removal or appendectomy is a surgical procedure where the risk benefit analysis is clearly in favor of surgery. The procedure is safe effective and widely available. Non-operative therapy, meaning antibiotics alone risks complications like perforation and abcess. Get evaluated, get treated.

In brief: Surgical cure

Appendicitis is a surgical disease.
Dr. Tracy Berg
Dr. Tracy Berg
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery