My first signs of a lupus flare is always dizziness with fatigue. My brain MRI was normal. Why do you think I am getting dizzy spells during flares?

Dr. Ramachandran Srinivasan
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Dizziness

Dizziness with lupus can be due to several reasons .
It could be due to inner ear inflammation, small vessel inflammation in brain , anemia , hypertension, cardiac causes postural changes etc to name a few. Mri can be normal in such circumstances and res out any CNS lesions . Fatigue is associated with disease activity.

In brief: Dizziness

Dr. Ramachandran Srinivasan
Dr. Ramachandran Srinivasan
Dr. Jonathan Wade

In brief: Effects of Lupus

Lupus is an autoimmune disease that can and often does effect any organ system in the body.
This can include skin, lungs, and even nerves. Lupus flares often present in a similar manner as the initial onset. It would appear that your lupus began in the nervous system thus creating dizziness with flares. Your doctor should regularly do a head to toe exam for signs and symptoms of progression.

In brief: Effects of Lupus

Dr. Jonathan Wade
Dr. Jonathan Wade
Dr. Peter Kurzweil