Is it safe to use ceftin (cefuroxime) long term (1 year+) as an acne treatment?

Pathology
If it's working, keep it up.
Other antibiotics may work as well, or as you get older a topical agent such as Clindamycin may prove sufficient. I needed oral tetracycline for 25 years and am grateful for it.

If it's working, keep it up.
Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: Complicated
This oral cephalosporin has little if any direct side-effects other than occasional GI intolerance.
Any broad-spectrum antibiotic can have secondary complications like c. Diff colitis, candidiasis, delayed hypersensitivity reactions, etc. The real question is whether the benefits outweigh the risks and only you and your doctor together can arrive at that decision.

In brief: Complicated
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Adam Smith