50 yr old male. Going to have surgery for aneurysm by coiling method. Some says that I may not be able to go back to normal life. Is it true?

Dr. John Ricotta
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Results pretty good

There has been a lot of progress made in the coiling of aneurysms in the last 5-10 years I assume this aneurysms is in your brain.
Coiling is now the preferred method for treating most aneurysms in the brain and generally is safer than open surgery ( which has also improved) AS usual make sure you have a team with a lot of experience in this technique and ask their results beforehand

In brief: Results pretty good

Dr. John Ricotta
Dr. John Ricotta
Dr. Mario Matos-Cruz
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Unknown

It all depends on the size, location and severity of the possible resulting cerebral infarct.

In brief: Unknown

Dr. Mario Matos-Cruz
Dr. Mario Matos-Cruz
Dr. Ester Kwok

In brief: Cerebral aneurysm

Coiling done 4 brain aneurysm, at a center w/experience doing these, should not adversally affect quality of life.
That said, there's always small risks of complications w/any procedure.Interventional radiologist should be able to provide % of risks.Unlike an operation, coiling's done by threading a small catheter through a vessel to the aneurysm site, similar to balloon procedures 4 blockd heart artery.

In brief: Cerebral aneurysm

Dr. Ester Kwok
Dr. Ester Kwok
Dr. Ester Kwok
See www.mayfieldclinic.com/PE-coiling.htm which has a good description of the procedure.
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery