How do I increase my HDL cholesterol levels to protect myself?

Dr. James Underberg

In brief: Risk Factors

Several known risk factors for heart disease are also associated with low HDL cholesterol.
Smoking, inactivity, obesity, all are linked to low HDL cholesterol, and improving on these can raise the HDL cholesterol . Exercise, smoking cessation and weight loss all may improve the risk of heart disease, and whether this is related to increased hdl, or just a marker of these interventions is unclear.

In brief: Risk Factors

Dr. James Underberg
Dr. James Underberg
Dr. David Fein
Preventive Medicine

In brief: Exercise and Omega3

Hdl (high-density lipoprotein) can be increased the most by exercise, plus foods rich in omega3 fish oil, such as cold water fish like wild salmon, mackerel, sardines, etc.
Certain plants (like flax seed) also contain omega3, but not at the healthy quantity as fish.

In brief: Exercise and Omega3

Dr. David Fein
Dr. David Fein