What is the risk of low HDL when the total cholesterol is below the high limits?

1 risk factor score. The national cholesterol education program suggests that having a significantly low (<40) HDL is equivalent to having a major risk factor like smoking, high bp, high ldl, diabetes or fan history of early coronary disease. This is usually a genetically based phenomenon, and thus far drugs have not been effective on improving outcomes by trying to raise hdl. Exercise and red wine (moderate) may help.
Slight risk. Hdl (high-density lipoprotein) is actually not a cholesterol at all, but a protein that carries cholesterol away from blood vessels. The higher the hdl, the lower your cardiovascular risk. Some people carry a gene for low hdl, just like some carry the genetics for high cholesterol.