My ANA (antinuclear antibody) test came back positive, how worried should I be? Do normal people have this?

Dr. Nika Ferdowsi

In brief: Many False +

ANA is a screening test for autoimmune disease.
False + are common. False negatives are rare. Yes, normal ppl do have this appear + sometimes. The lab should also indicate how positive the test was: mildly or strongly. Follow up tests to the ANA (such as dsdna and complement among many others) can determine if this was a true positive or false positive.

In brief: Many False +

Dr. Nika Ferdowsi
Dr. Nika Ferdowsi
Dr. Thomas Klein
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: It depends

It depends on how high the test was.
If it was 1:40 i would not worry. Some labs report this as abnormal but it is a very low result. If you have a result that is1:160, 1:320 or higher then you must get an evaluation by your doctor. 1:80 would prompt me to be concerned enough to repeat the level in a few months.

In brief: It depends

It depends on how high the test was.
Dr. Thomas Klein
Dr. Thomas Klein
Dr. Adam Smith